Introductions thread!

Hi!

I’m Xavier, from OpenCraft, one of the main contributors of the Open edX project, a MOOC platform. We host it and contribute changes to the project on behalf of users.

I’m here to participate in the discussion about creating a MOOC for contributing to free software, but curious about the rest too :slight_smile:

NB: I’m currently limited at 3 posts on that thread, which is a bit limiting - what do I need to do to raise that limit? (Or let us know if that’s inadequate to discuss this here, we can also move :slight_smile: )

1 Like

In order to lift the limit you need to spend time on the forum. Reading around for about ten minutes should bring your to trust level one that lifts the limits. By the time you read this your probably have done it already.

1 Like

Hi there!

I’m David Jacovkis from femProcomuns, a not-for-profit, workers’ and consumers’ cooperative based in Barcelona. We offer several services under the CommonsCloud.coop name, including Nextcloud, Discourse, Phabricator, LimeSurvey and Zimbra Mail, as well as training and consulting for organisations that want to move away from proprietary platforms.

We’re also founding members of meet.coop, a videoconferencing service maintained by several cooperatives.

2 Likes

Hey. Welcome to every one who has posted here. Sorry that this community is a bit stuck and not moving much lately.
Come and say hello in our matrix room ?

Shall we organise a jitsi, mumble or just matrix meet-up with every one in this thread? Just a thought. So many people have introduced themselves here! Welcome!

1 Like

Hola @dvdjaco, benvingut! I’m curious, since https://liberaforms.org is based in Barcelona as well, how does it compare to LimeSurvey, and what would make you switch software to support a local production?

1 Like

Hola i gràcies! I know Liberaforms, in fact one of the developers used to be involved in CommonsCloud :-). I think it is a great libre solution for relatively simple forms.

Since one of our core services is Nextcloud, we already have a similar functionality with the Forms app. We decided to offer LimeSurvey as well for those users that need more advanced features, e.g.:

• Invite-only forms with unique tokens/links and multiple submissions per user (e.g. to be used for voting).
  • Assessment (e.g. for exams).
  • Customizable statistics.

cheers!
^dj

Hi all,

Hey @dvdjaco, let’s give credit where it’s due. I was the technician who put CommonsCloud together. With lots of ansible help from Chris of WebArchitects :slight_smile:

Chris.

1 Like

I’m Pussycat (yeah rude nick), currently one guy with VPS (like Amolith), but maybe in future I become more than one man.
I run Ninenu, another libre service provider and an organization, whose goal is to increase the computer literacy of people, the popularization of free software and the topic of privacy (and sometimes anonymity) on the network.
The name Ninenu is the spelling of 9nu, and 9nu is a combination of a number and two letters similar in appearance to the word gnu, the name of a free operating system project, written in lowercase letters.
I originally had the idea of ​​hosting services for my friends, but now I’ve decided to go bigger. I am not a professional and this is just my hobby. And I just need more people to know about Ninenu and that’s why I wanted to join you!

Welcome @Pussycat! Is this Bulgarian on the 9nu.org site? It’s some Cyrillic language for sure.

Please take the time to open a Merge Request in the directory repository.

Hi there. I’m Wouter. In 2017 I initiated CommonsCloud.coop with a group of people and collectives in Barcelona. In the first years @tuttle was the main developer and we lead the project together, we brought it under the wings of the cooperative, ran crowdfunding and build an initial user base. After tuttle left us, @dvdjaco joined and in 2020 he took over from me to lead the project and function as main DevOps with a group of partners around. I’m really happy to see that the project is alive and going on.

2 Likes

In May 2020 we’ve initiated the Online Meeting Cooperative (in short: meet.coop) with a group of people and cooperatives in Europe and North America. We started together with Collective.tools and especially @chrisc in the first months, to deploy the first BigBlueButton based service. We should also mention decentral1se from Autonomic. Webarchitects also maintains our operational team toolstack, based on NextCloud and Discourse primarily, and WordPress for the website.

Since the first year of meetcoop we have been in touch with @unteem and Pierre Ozoux and they have given us initial guidance to get started with keycloak for the SSO. And I must say that thanks to our operational member Hypha.coop from Toronto we have that working now (finally!), thanks Tim for getting us on this path :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, my name is Christian. Am I late to the party? I’ve been vaguely aware of this project for a while. Last week, people at the FreedomNotFear barcamp in Brussels reminded me to join.

As a volunteer the the German NGO Digitalcourage e.V., I run several of the public services listed on Swarm Support | Digitalcourage (sorry, this page is in German only) as well as GitLab and PeerTube instances.

Let’s deGAFAMify and redecentralise the Internet!

3 Likes