Well done! This is a very important initiative to keep the fires burning!
Off the top of my head:
- Can we get more CHATONS members to join and share experiences in a discussion.
- A similar event to ‘whiskey leaks’ where people just come to get wasted and talk about mad plans.
- Terrible ideas for names: Nagios NightCaps, Tail -f Tequilas, Remote Backup Baileys, etc.
- Workshops around tricky subjects like centralised logging, remote de-duplication backups, security etc.
- Anything you basically have in your contractual agreement that has to be rock solid
- In my experience there is no shared solution and many people are not aware of other ‘best practices’
- Participatory planning, organisation, governance discussion. We have a nice quote going around Aptivate lately which I think might be relevant and might prompt a discussion around ethics, rights based approaches and organsation:
“We are a deeply participatory organisation. We believe in the rights
of people to have a say in decisions that affect them. We see that an
organisation’s software systems encode their processes and as such
mediate human relationships and represent power structures. From this
perspective User Centred Design becomes a rights based imperative
rather than simply an industry best practice. In short it is the
mission of our organisation to address the needs and give voice to the
users of the systems we build.”
- On a less abstract level, we could host some discussion on furthering LibreHosters specific organisational details like how to drive a governance model, how to talk about participation, vision, goals, movitation, next steps etc. I am sure this will be done informally but it might be nice to formalise these items into an agenda.
OK, that’s enough random ideas from me. I am happy to co-help to drive anything for this assembly. If anyone needs me to help in whatever capacity, I can do my best from Rotterdam and in person, I will be arriving late on the 26th and leaving late on the 30th.
PS. I hope everyone from here, who wanted, got a ticket and if not, let’s try to organise that.