Logo / Mediakit

Hello,

As a fresh member, I wanted to put a nice SVG logo/brand for LibreHosters network on my website, but I can’t find any (searched here and on the Gitlab).

Should the forum’s logo be considered official? Could the SVG (if any) version of it be made available?

Sorry if I missed it, I am just starting to look at the numerous topics.

3 Likes

Hey @jean, welcome! It’s interesting that you are mentioning this now because we discussed this during the weekend (see Gathering to discuss values, governance, criteria and process). Unsure if you’re aware but the network is quite young and we’re still working on getting these things into place. Please feel free to share your input!

As far as I know, there is no logo / mediakit yet. We’d need to arrange that.

Our current proposal for network policies was based on the CHATONS manifesto which has the following note:

A logo will be available, if members desire so, and every member will be free to use it or not on their website.

However, there was some discussion on various use and abuse considerations that were quite nuanced (I won’t try to summarise them all here just right now …). Hopefully others will bring their thoughts. Perhaps we should propose an ammendment to CPP: Commitments, Policies and Processes for logo usage.

I will make a mental note to put this on the following monthly meeting agenda (see notes from https://pad.libreho.st/monthly-meeting-0419#) if we do not make prompt progress on this topic.

3 Likes

As @decentral1se mentioned there’s not official logo yet. I do have the original SVG of the current logo used here, but I’d rather not share it since we do not have a consensus on a logo.

For now I recommend using a text link such as:

<span id="librehosters">Member of the <a href="https://libreho.st/">librehosters</a> network.</span>

(Note the lowercase librehosters: this is the preferred use. If you spot LibreHosters or any non-lowercase variant, except for normal capitalization at the beginning of a sentence, you’re welcome to downcase it.)

Thanks for the clarification, I obviously missed that. I will use a text link for now then.

No you did not: it was discussed last week-end. :slight_smile:

The logo in this discourse was placed there somewhat independently by our discourse maintainers when it was installed. It would be nice to have a wider discussion about brand and logo related stuff as its also completely different to the website style and these should likely be consistent.

I can likely help with this a bit (I currently work in a design company and have some experience with branding related stuff).

I (and others) would like to see a logo for the librehosters network so we can add a badge or something similar to our sites that links back to libreho.st.

I’ve done a bit of graphic design so I’d be willing to make one but I think it should really be designed by everyone as a whole; it would be a logo that represents us, the ideals we share, and the purpose of the network itself so everyone should agree on it.

5 Likes

Site colors

• blue rgb(52, 122, 183) (#347ab7)
  • grey rgb(28, 28, 28) (#1c1c1c)
  • black
  • white

This topic is long overdue for a necrobump. The website needs to be revamped (I’m badgering a close friend of mine from Ura Design to take a look), we need a logo and wordmark, the CPP needs to have some work put into it, and a bunch of other things. Out of all of these, I think the logo and wordmark will be easiest to tackle right now.

A good logo for a network is not just a representation of the project itself but of the people within and the values they share. It’s very difficult to convey more than a couple of these in a single scalable logo so I’m trying to boil them down to what we feel are the most important aspects. With that in mind, please choose 2 of these that you personally value more than the rest. From there, I’ll come up with some ideas and propose them.

• Accessibility (in terms of cost)
  • Collaboration
  • Data privacy/security
  • Decentralisation
  • Freedom
  • Inclusivity
  • Openness

0 voters

2 Likes

Thank you @Amolith for reviving this topic. I guess @realitygaps might have some mockups by now.

I’m a bit surprised by the words you chose in your poll, @Amolith, since not all appear in the original Librehosters description and some of that description do not appear here:

librehosters is a network of cooperation and solidarity that uses free software to encourage decentralisation through federation and distributed platforms. Our values connect transparency, fairness and privacy with a culture of data portability and public contributions to the commons.

As you can see, all the keywords are there, and I would appreciate that you recast the poll to use those. I think some are non-negotiable, and should be taken out of the choice, for 2 out 7 (your proposal) is already very limiting. From the first sentence I would use cooperation and solidarity since so far we have not demonstrated those very much. From the second sentence I would use all five. Then we’d reach the case of 7 keywords. What do you think?

1 Like

In my opinion, the description on the librehosters website includes far too many keywords. I agree that they are important but it just looks like a patchwork of colour. If every word is important, none of it is. That’s a topic for a separate post though.

These are the key words in the description:

• network of cooperation
  • solidarity
  • free software
  • decentralisation
  • federation
  • distributed platforms
  • transparency
  • fairness
  • privacy
  • data portability
  • contributions to the commons

This is how I bundled them together:

• Data privacy/security
    • data portability
    • privacy
  • Freedom
    • free software
  • Openness
    • fairness
    • transparency
  • Collaboration
    • network of cooperation
    • solidarity
  • Decentralisation
    • decentralisation
    • federation
    • distributed platforms
  • Inclusivity
    • fairness
  • Accessibility

The last one being something I personally deem important enough to be included. If we all charged as much as we really could, our services would be completely inaccessible to a large portion of our users.

Considering that there are already a number of votes and it’s hard enough to get this network to do anything as it is, I would prefer to leave the current poll open. As I said in IRC, this isn’t going to be a public listing of our values on the main page or anything like that; it’s simply some words to keep in mind when making the logo.

Here is how the CPP bound them together:

So here, openness does not play a role. These two share a common culture and goal, and the following ones share ethics…

We use these two words because they mean something together, and they cannot be reduced to “openness”. Transparency without fairness is surveillance. “Fairness” without transparency is complacency.

Portability is not security. It’s the ability of users to choose their provider. Not at all the same thing. I think security is a general concern in our profession, but this is not what we mean here.

I completely agree that accessibility is an important concern. But I don’t think we understand the same thing about this term. What I mean when I use Accessibility, is A11y, which refers to the accessibility of a computer system to all people, regardless of disability type or severity of impairment. What you seem to mean in that sentence is “low price”, which I really do not care about, since some of us are non-profits giving away their services for no fee, and others are commercial entities depending on customer paying a fair fee for their services. As with “free as in freedom, not as in free beer” Accessibility (A11y) has nothing to do with price.

Well, I agree with what’s written on the web home page, not with your choice of words, so I’d rather have people working on the logo from this understanding and not yours.

We clearly don’t have a shortage of important ethical concepts to be expressed in a logo, good luck to the graphic designer!

I picked freedom and openness, if co-operation had been listed I’d have probably picked co-operation and freedom, as Webarchitects is a Co-operative and this is important to us, but I’m also happy for the current poll to remain open as it is…

1 Like

I believe collaboration includes co-operation.