LibreHoster list for Trunk

A couple days ago, I had an idea to make a list for LibreHosters on Trunk. I know it was said that we don’t want a “LibreHosters” account anywhere because that sort of defeats the purpose of us being a decentralised network of individuals. I do think it would be good if there was a central list of LibreHosters somewhere so that we and others can find us better.

The lists are moderated by the admins and I am one of them. People request to be added to lists, we take a look at their account, and add them to the lists they requested if they toot about that content. If they don’t, we don’t add them to that specific list.

If you guys would like a list for us, I can ask the other admins if they would be alright with that. The only thing I could see being an issue is that it would have to be a closed list; users would have to be a member of the network before they’re added to the list.

https://communitywiki.org/trunk/

2 Likes

Hey @Amolith, I’m curious what you want to put on this list, and how it would be maintained.

When I read:

Trunk allows you to mass-follow a bunch of people

If you click on one of the lists below, you’ll see a page full of people that volunteered to be on that list. Yeah, people . Our goal is to connect newbies with people . The only exception we have is our Organizations, NGOs & Associations list. All the other lists are about people.

I understand that you would add another exception since librehosters, beyond the people behind the network, are primarily a network of organizations. In this perspective, although I can imagine why one would like to follow individual members of the network, I do not understand why it would make sense to aggregate a list of individual members of our network under the umbrella librehosters in this context.

On the other hand, if your intention is to bootstrap a following list of librehosting accounts, whether announcement accounts or else, then I think it should be gathered automatically from the librehost.json files, in other words: extracted from the LH directory. In this case, we should think about defining a specific field for this that would point to an “official” Fediverse account that the librehoster may use for this purpose. What kind of contents should be provided at this endpoint? Is it not already available in the form of a “status page”? What purpose would it serve beyond making us more discoverable so to speak?

What I was thinking was a list of individual people that are a part of the LibreHosters. If an organisation was part of the network, the organisation members would be welcome to join too. However, I do see what you’re saying here:

librehosters . . . are primarily a network of organizations. In this perspective, although I can imagine why one would like to follow individual members of the network, I do not understand why it would make sense to aggregate a list of individual members of our network under the umbrella librehosters

In all members of all organisations being able to join, that would create a lot of overhead for whoever maintained the list (likely me) as well as the list probably not having as much of a general “theme” - hosting, FLOSS, etc. An extensive list of a group of people in other groups would be very diverse and kind of defeat the purpose.

2 Likes

I think what would be interesting would be to add LibreHosters as a ngo or network so that individuals can be listed as talking about librehosters?
they may come back and say we fit into the free software category already created.
unless I undertood wrong

1 Like